Locating Color Copiers

[email protected] says...

> On a slightly related topic, I know of an instance where the
> Secret Service located a stolen color copier with somewhat
> greater speed than one might have expected.
>
> Is it possible that these machines either:
> (1) contain transponders
> or
> (2) hide a "signature" in their output  ???

1. Why was the secret service looing for stolen property?

2. This is an urban legend.  There is no "signature" on the output of
   Canon CLC copiers.

because these copiers are so maintenance-intensive, and since Canon
*owns* most of the CLC dealers, it would be very easy for them to check
their s/n records when they are servicing the equipment (which needs to
be done when the devices are moved)!

pretty exciting, huh?

--
Rusty H. Hodge, Cyberneticist  <[email protected]>