Radio networking

>>I wish it was easier to do things like that...  Has anyone made any
>>progress with networking over unliscensed radio spectrum?

Why worry about unliscensed?  I believe I've seen a laser (low power
Helium/Neon), possibly in the Edmund Scientific catalog, that you
can modulate.  You'd have a nearly impenetrable, highly directional
signal.  Failing that, stick to 250mw or less;  unless I'm mistaken,
that's almost completely unregulated, and certainly doesn't require
a license.  Lots of hand held CB units, and the Maxon headsets fall in this
category.

For higher powers, you might consider getting a Ham license, probably
at the technician grade.   It's true that you aren't permitted to
send encrypted messages...but did you know that many hams use
SSTV (Slow scan Television) to send still photographs around the
*_World_* on long wave (i.e. 10 meter) bands?  Of course, only a
shamefully irresponsible person would think of violating their
duties as a Citizen-Unit (per Mr. May) and use
Stegonography to include an encrypted message...

You can also legally send unencrypted
teletype messages over the Ham waves.  Darn
modems...sometimes we all have a "bad modem" day when everything
comes out garbage.  Must be the cables.

Regards..