Re: THOUGHT: Internation

At 12:15 PM 04/04/94 -0700, Blanc Weber wrote:
>From: Jamie Lawrence
>
>"....... I just would like to know if
>those who object to this object on grounds of practicality or ideology (in
>other words, for example do you object because you don't believe everyone
>is *entitled* to a job......."
>
>having a job = making a living using $
>"a living":          having an idea of a kind of life to live
>pre-requisite:  having a purpose in life
>requisite:          arranging your life to realize (achieve) that purpose
>                           following-through on the work required
>                           adjusting things around you to suit your
>interest/sensibilities
>
>It would be impractical for another person to deliver all of these
>things for me at their expense, when they should be spending time on
>their own dreams & plans.  It does not represent an ideal method to me
>to have my lifestyle delivered to me, while aiming to be an
>independent, autonomous individual with a mind of my own.

Well, I guess we concieve of the meaning of the phrase "'right' to a job"
somewhat differently. I see it as meaning everyone has the oppurtunity to
earn a living. Whether or not I have the responsibility to follow through
or not, I have that chance. (I also don't know that I think my job has
anything to do with my purpose in life- If someone can find that to be the
case, great, but otherwise it is just a way to stay alive while they are
looking for the real thing, so to speak.)

>Otherwise I would be obliged to serve the purposes & interests of those
>who supply the means, the job, the money, on their schedule; that is,
>whenever they could think of something for me to "do" on the entitled job list.

I suppose I look at the alternative- that people don't have the right to
earn a living, that doing so is a priviledge. How easy is it to get by
without a job in this country? It can be done, but it sucks.

>Blanc

-j