Re: cryptophone ideas

> >The ideal phone might be based on CPU's, RAM, and DSP's, with no
> >DES chips or anything like that.

Probaly CPU is not necessary...

> Have you seen the prices of used original NeXT equipment lately,
> or just the prices of single system boards from back in the 68030
> era?

No. Care to enlighten?

> Anyway, why do you need a DSP? I have read in several places that
> DSP's are going to be "replaced" by the CPU as time goes on and the
> CPUs just get more and more powerful.

Since, as somebody has already mentioned, DSP  is a CPU optimized
for price/performance in digital signal processing, the statement
above sounds funny. DSP chips will always be cheaper than general
purpose CPUs offering at least comparable performance.
--
Regards,
Uri         [email protected]      scifi!angmar!uri 	N2RIU