Re: Penet spoofing

> John Clark <[email protected]> writes:
> Yes, I got the same message. I don't know what this is all about

I hate to be paranoid, but that seems to be my natural state these days.
I'll take a guess: somebody wants to know the mapping between cypherpunk
addresses and Finnish anonymous ID's, if any.

If you have an anonymous ID registered on penet.fi and you don't have a
password registed there, anyone can find your anonymous ID by forging mail
from you to themselves via Finland; it will carefully anonymize you and
report the message to them; presumably "This is the one I forged from John
Clark." or "Test 94.217.johncla" or whatever.

If you already had an anonymous account with no password, you wouldn't get
notification... but you have one now.  I don't know if there's an error msg
if you try to send mail with the wrong password.

I do have an anon ID (result of replying to some other anonymous poster)
with no password, and haven't gotten that message lately.

	Jim Gillogly
	Trewesday, 23 Thrimidge S.R. 1994, 15:52