Re: Unicorn vs. tmp@netcom

Cyber City writes:
 > To Black Unicorn:
 >
 > Once upon a time, two strangers found a dog...
 >
 > Likewise, when you were tested recently by net abuse, you went for
 > relief to your master, the government.

I find this analogy pretty thin...

 > This is what distinguishes you from the rest of us.

"Us"?

 > We might react against the abuse (or we might not), but I think
 > that none of us - or at least a very few - would have gone to court
 > for relief.

I appreciate your input, but please do not presume to speak for me.

 > Despite your protestation, "I also don't like to be a bully", it seems
 > to me that your pursuit of this case was predicated on your ability to
 > be a bully and an insider.

An "insider", because he happens to know a judge?  Sorry, but
knowledge of the law is not some sort of exclusive privilege.

 > Like your colleagues Cantor and Seigel

!!!

 > You only had to find someone who was ill, and then kick him
 > while he was down.

It has never been demonstrated to my satisfaction that [email protected]
is ill, and while the suggestion has been made frequently I don't
think we can use the supposition to accuse Mr. Unicorn of "kicking" a
sick person.  This is a serious twisting of the facts.

 > Was it Rousseau who said, "First, we kill all the lawyers"?

No; that's the most bizarre misattribution I've seen in a while...

 > The cost of a lawsuit in the U.S. today can easily be over
 > $100,000.

Indeed; it might be $10,000,000!!!  Or, of course, it might be
nothing, and it might be that someone victimized by a frivolous
lawsuit can sue to recover costs.

 > The cost of a contract murder is said to be $10,000-$50,000.
 > Consider the economics.

I'm pretty quickly losing track of this train of thought.  Are you
suggesting that Mr. Unicorn should have consulted a mafioso instead of
a judge?

 > I think there is a role to be played by lawyers in the future of the
 > net. The net does not like litigation, because it interferes with the
 > free flow of information.

This statement makes no sense.  Is it not obvious that litigation need
have nothing whatsoever to do with the free flow of information?

--
| GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <[email protected]>       |
| TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |