Re: Cyberspace is by nature crime-free

"Anthony Garcia" wrote:

> Right on.  With the exception of fraud (the danger of which is
> lessened by the use of appropriate cryptographic protocols in your
> business transactions), cyberspace is essentially crime free.

I have to disagree with this, especially the title 'is by nature'.
Cyberspace as a communications forum still presents many opportunities
for crime as are present in physical and related communications media.
To rattle a few off the top of my head without thinking to broadly:

 - break and enter --> cracking/hacking (whatever you want to call it)
 - vilification, discrimination
 - sedition
 - inciting violence
 - fraud (as you've mentioned)
 - transfering funds, tax evasion
 - illegal business activity, false advertising
 - contempt of court
 - copyright infringment

Admittedly by the nature of cyberspace, detecting and gaining evidence
for these crimes can be more complicated than in a tangible physical
medium, but none the less these actions are still criminal.

In fact, I think it is much better that these activities are possible
in cyberspace, since it's a better representation of the real world.
Crime is pervasive, it is naive to expect that it would fail to follow
people into cyberspace.

Matthew.

--
Matthew Gream