Re: Is the NSA really competent?

On Sun, 26 Jun 1994 [email protected] wrote:

> Skipjack: probably just a modified DES

[stuff deleted...]

> crypto group, it looks like the NSA contribued to _none_ of
						    ^^^^^^
> the major advances in cryptography that occured during its zenith.

If skipjack is really a 'major advance' (I won't state an opinion at this
point) then it seems that they did indeed contribute to a major advance.
At least one. Also if I remember my history right they had a lot to do
with the original redesigning of the s-boxes in des.

Happy Hunting, -Chris.

Christian Douglas Odhner     | "The NSA can have my secret key when they pry
[email protected]	     | it from my cold, dead, hands... But they shall
pgp 2.3 public key by finger | NEVER have the password it's encrypted with!"
cypherpunks         WOw            dCD           Traskcom          Team Stupid
  Key fingerprint =  58 62 A2 84 FD 4F 56 38  82 69 6F 08 E4 F1 79 11