usenet-to-mail

[I accidentally sent this to owner-cypherpunks before.  Sorry if it
shows up again later. tw]

>Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 01:51:05 -0500
>From: [email protected] (Jonathan Rochkind)
>
>"Robert A. Hayden" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>More importantly, are there are usenet-to-mail gateways?
>
>My first impression was that that was just a joke. Then I thought it might
>be a very good idea after all. Then I thought it surely wasn't a joke, but
>also wasn't a very good idea. Now I'm not sure. :)

I was thinking that Robert meant something like getting a usenet feed
via mail.

Speaking of which, are there any sort of "public", or "free" NNTP
servers?  Or even "cheep"?  Even just read-only?  I'm afraid of losing
my full feed along with my account when I finish my masters.  I don't
want to go for a PhD just so I can keep browsing the alt groups.

tw