Elliptic crypto is patented

Eric asks whether elliptic encryption might not be a solution to the world's
patenting woes.

Last April, [email protected] (Schirado) asked whether anyone was
interested in trying an implementation. I was relatively free of work at that
time, and volunteered. Then I got busy; IAC it appeared far too slow for
software.

Read: _An Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptosystems Over F-2-155_ ,
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 11, #5, June 1993
(page 804).

Incidentally Next Computer's Fast Elliptic Encryption, FEE, used
elliptic curves, and is patented (by R E Crandell, USP# 5,159,632,27 October
1992); also, elliptic crypto is probably covered by the DH/PKP patents.

"We know everything about you that we need to know" - Coleta Brueck, IRS
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
[email protected]                                  the space where we live"
[email protected]                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA