Cellular Privacy [Digital vs. Analog]

> Well, it is true, from a pragmatic point of view.  A neighborhood kid with a
> Radio Shack scanner can't listen in on digital cellular calls.  You have to
> actually hack a phone, which is a much less prevalent skill.

   True.  And the fact is, monitoring any _one specific call_ is rather
difficult to do without specialized equipment - in my experience with
modified analog phones, one has to hop between 50 cells at the minimum
before they can hope to monitor a specific call.  I've yet to obtain a
digital cellphone to modify, but with the recent legislation about
cellular phone monitoring, I wouldn't be surprised if it were more
difficult to hack them.  (and just from the size of them alone, I would
guess that they're mostly surface-mount, which is a pain in the arse for
most people without elaborate facilities)

> I still think that CDMA+DES is the way to go for secure cellular, but from a
> purely pragmatic point of view simply going digital does increase privacy.
> Using analog cellular is like using a walkie-talkie.

   Good analogy.

-jon
( --------[ Jonathan D. Cooper ]--------[ [email protected] ]-------- )
( PGP 2.6.2 keyprint: 31 50 8F 82 B9 79 ED C4  5B 12 A0 35 E0 9B C0 01 )