Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, L. McCarthy wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 19:45:17 -0500 (EST)
> From: L. McCarthy <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files
>
> Dave Horsfall writes:
> > ADAM GERSTEIN, _THE_ MACGURU writes:
> > > A friend of mine thinks his girlfriend has been cheating on him, and
> > > thinks the proof may be in a few Norton Encrypt files.  Is there anyway
> > > to get the password with a data/resource editor, or is he shit-out-of-luck
> > Boy; talk about an inappropriate use of technology...  Is "privacy"
> > in that guy's vocabulary?  I respectfully submit that if he has to
> > start snooping on her, the relationship is over anyway.
>
> My sentiments exactly. Whether or not she's two-timing, I imagine she'd be
> pretty upset (and justifiably so) if she knew her boyfriend wants to break
> into her private documents. He should *ask* her straight out to confirm or
> deny his suspicions. If he doesn't like the answer, he should get out.
>
> Someone needs to give her PGP ASAP, IMHO....
>
> -L. Futplex McCarthy

As darwinian as it seems, perhaps someone should just tell the guy how to
bust Norton's encryption, eh?

Since when are cypherpunks relationship counslers?

If she gets burned using norton encrypt, perhaps she'll take the time to
learn about real encryption.  (I assume Norton's is trash)

Short term privacy loss perhaps, but long term gain.

If it were to be otherwise, I guess we all better stop posting crypto
weaknesses at all, afterall, who knows what girlfriend will next be
violated if we tell joe hacker how to break e.g., enigma.

While everyone is at it, why not just subscribe wholeheartedly to the
security through obscurity doctrine...?

The more I think about the above, the more I wonder if those on the list
have conflicting goals, that is, absolute privacy by agreement.  Are we
really that naive?  If so, why develop crypto at all?

-uni- (Dark)

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!