Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Dec 22,  9:46pm, Mark Terka wrote:
> GROAN! What the hell is this list about anyway?????? I think we are losing
> perspective about encryption, privacy etc etc...

> Putting it quite simply, the individual was asking about how to make an
attack
> on an opponent. Whether that opponent is a girlfriend, spouse, competitor or
> terrorist group, who cares? Lets save the sermonizing for Ann Landers...what
> state the relationship is irrelevant.

What a load of amoral rubbish.

Cypherpunks is a group whose members believe in the application of
technology to PROTECT privacy, not to violate someone else's.
Once you assume that capability implies right, you're on very
shakey moral ground, but that is exactly what you are saying in this
post.  I find that position repellent, and I would be very surprised
and not a little disappointed if you find many others here who felt
the same way.

> I bet the poster would have gotten a more sympathetic response if he said he
> had gotton his hands on a diplomatic cable....

Possibly.  IMO, what the original requester was asking for was so
repulsive and immature that the responses so far have been mild.

							Ian.