intelligent discovery agents

On Fri, 6 Jan 1995 Nesta Stubbs <[email protected]> wrote:

>> There was some recent talk about network agent technology on this list.
>>
> does anynoe have any information about intelligent agents?  I mean I know
> about filter and stuff, but they arent intelligent agents.  I assume one
> would be something like the WWW worm and other searching scripts that
> have a database of information to cross-reference their finds and decide
> what to send back to you.

You might want to check out Brian LaMacchia's Ph.D. proposal to create
a new class of knowbot, to be termed "Internet Fish".  It is posted on
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/bal-home.html

LaMacchia's proposal is interesting in that his 'fish' seem to have
limited autonomy, thus moving us closer to a content-addressable model
of net info retrieval.

Also of interest is RFC 1728: Resource Transponders, by C. Weider.  The
idea is that there should be meta-information (information about
information) available for use by info retrieval programs like 'archie'.
From ftp://nic.ddn.mil/rfc/rfc1728.txt

The following is extracted from LaMacchia's abstract: