Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

>      OK, I understood all this.  I am afraid that if we implement a total
> no tracing scenario, then remailers will come under heat from the world at
> large and the governments.  Maybe not.  Rright now, Rahul (a good guy) is
> implementing syslogs whether I want him to or not, and that isn't about to
> change.  Really I would have to be the owner of my own system in order to
> do what you are suggesting.

You can do a good job of anonymous remailing even on a system that
keeps email logs, if the system is otherwise trustable.
When mail comes in to your remailer, store it in a file (encrypted....).
Periodically take the files of stored messages, shuffle them,
and mail them out.  It's about the same behavior as doing the same
from your own box with eavesdroppers on your network, though
the traffic levels are a bit different if each remailer operator
on rahul.net gets identified separately instead of all the remailers
getting lumped together.  But if there are multiple remailers on
Rahul's machine, and if the syslogs don't log internal mail,
you could also forward some of the remailer traffic randomly
through other remailer-operators there.

		Bill