Re: Scientologys Attempts

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Charles Bell wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jan 1995, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> > I just had a view into the alt.religion.scientology and
> > alt.clearing.technology newsgroups. There are some messages
> > about a Scientology decision to shut down every internet traffic
> > about Scientology. If the messages are true, Scientology sent
> > rmgroup Control messages to remove the groups.
> >
> > The request to stop the remailers seems to come from the
> > same people...

> After reading the lawyer's threatening letter I tried to check out the
> two newsgroups mentioned, and was told they do not exist.  (This is not a
> local filter here; Eskimo does not censor newsgroups.)  So have they been
> deleted?  If so, by whom and how? What is 'rmgroup' and who has the
> authority to remove alt. groups?

An 'rmgroup' is a control message used by Usenet when a group needs to be
removed globally.  Etiquette suggests that only big, important people
should send these out, but technically anyone can send one.

I followed the Scientology debate with little interest until yesterday,
when I fired up my newsreader and was asked "Subscribe to new group
alt.religion.scientology?"  At that point, I knew that the real war had
begun. :-)

From what I was able to ascertain here, an rmgroup was sent out, followed
soon after by a newgroup (or two or three or...).  My news server doesn't
honor newgroups in the alt hierarchy automatically as a rule, but did so
in this case for some reason.

News server: news.cso.uiuc.edu, on the University of Illinois
Urbana-Champaign campus.

Jeff Licquia (lame .sig, huh?)   |   Finger for PGP 2.6 public key
[email protected]          |   Me?  Speak for whom?  You've got
[email protected] (work)           |     to be kidding!