Re: The Remailer Crisis

Rhys Kyraden wrote:

> Yes, my machine has a 56k direct line in, 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week
> (during school months!;-)) The server you just mailed to is on this
> machine.

If it's up nearly all the time (23.8 hours a day), accepting mail,
then I see no reason your machine can't be a remailer. If, however, it
gets turned off, taken home for the holidays, isn't always in a state
to accept mail, then your remailer will get pinged and downchecked by
the testing programs.

(And you won't easily be able to arrange for multple "accounts" on the
machine, given the sorry state of such things on the Mac.)

> I agree that the Mac lacks some of the more powerful Unix features, namely
> preemtive multitasking, but I also believe that, at least with the newer
> Macs, CPU time-sharing is more efficient than it used to be. Know of Chuck
> Shotton's MacHTTP WWW server for the Mac? An excelent piece of software

Others may know more about this means for running a remailer on a Mac.
I do know that Scott Collins, a Mac programming wizard who works for
Apple, chose to run his remailer on Netcom's Unix machines...he would
be a person to ask about what you hope to do.

> I thought that it was in Perl. I have tried pulling Unix Perl scripts and
> running them under MacPerl, but it doesn't quite do it. In fact, it usually
> doesn't do anything but spew errors back at you.

I can't help here. Try the Perl discusssion groups...there's probably
a FAQ on both Perl and MacPerl that discusses incompatibilities and issues.

As an aside, maybe working on another project, one that is actually
new territory, would be a more interesting and useful thing to do.
With a 660AV, and the various audio tools available, a Mac version of
PGP Phone might be a lot more interesting.

--Tim May

[email protected]       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
                       | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Cypherpunks list: [email protected] with body message of only:
subscribe cypherpunks. FAQ available at ftp.netcom.com in pub/tc/tcmay