Does PGP scale well?

Perry has repeated a litany here that I have been hearing for years on
the pem-dev list with never a hint of a justification.  That is that
PGP does not scale well.

One of the reasons that I consider this to be untrue is my empirical
experience with two groups that are constantly interested in exactly
who I am: the government and the credit bureaus.  They both chose to
use my SSN even though that has all the same attributes of a KeyID,
except that it is somewhat denser.  Now if this is what happens when
the real world tries to identify me, why is the KeyID such a bad way to
identify keys?

Please note that I do understand that identifying me and finding me are
separate issues.  I'm not sure that the pem-dev folk clearly
discriminate these.

Peace. Tom