Re: Factoring - State of the Art and Predictions

"James A. Donald" says:
> So far no one has found a way of applying NP problems to
> Crypto.

Further than that, it has been shown that a large class of ways to
apply NP complete problems to crypto are insecure -- this being
generalizations of the break of the knapsack problem based
cryptosystems...

> Of course you can do discrete log on weird fields -- there
> is a lot of research in that which I do not understand at all.

Most of the eliptic curve stuff maps pretty straightforwardly into
the "normal" case and vice versa.

.pmm