Re: Are booby-trapped computers legal?

If the jury isn't persuaded betond reasonable doubt
that you were in genuine apprehension of serious harm
to yourself or your family--not your property--then
you will be acquitted of using violence to repel an
intruder into your home.  Maybe not your south 40,
but your home.

Indeed, if the local prosecutor or US Atty believes,
on the positive side, that your actions were reasonable,
you probably won't even be charged.

Now, that doesn't of itself make deadly force right,
but as I'm just through with cleaning two shotguns
(dove season here, going again Friday), I'm not going
to argue the point too vigorously.  I'd say the morality
of such situations, leaving aside the legality, is
extremely fact-intensive.

Situational ethics?  Excessive subjectivity?  I think
not--I think we can apply objective standards to each
individual case, but it's fatuous to do so in advance.

MacN