[[email protected]: MIT TOC SEMINAR--DAN BONEH--Thursday, November 2--4:15pm!!]

From: [email protected] (Joanne Talbot)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 95 12:23:33 EST
To: [email protected]
Subject: MIT TOC SEMINAR--DAN BONEH--Thursday, November 2--4:15pm!!

                       MIT TOC SEMINAR

                 Thursday, November 2, 1995

       Refreshments at 4:00pm, Talk at 4:15pm in NE43-518

       ``Quantum Cryptoanalysis of Hidden Linear Forms''

                        by Dan Boneh
                    Princeton University

                         ABSTRACT

Recently there has been a great deal of interest in the power of
Quantum Computers. The driving force is the recent beautiful result of
Shor that shows that discrete log and factoring are solvable in random
quantum polynomial time. We use a method similar to Shor's to obtain a
general theorem about quantum polynomial time. We show that any
cryptosystem based on what we refer to as a `hidden linear form' can
be broken in quantum polynomial time. Our results imply that the
discrete log problem is doable in quantum polynomial time over any
group including Galois fields and elliptic curves.

Joint work with Richard Lipton.

Host: Shafi Goldwasser