Re: Crypto hardware (was: Using sound cards to accelerate RSA?)

On Thu, 28 Sep 1995, Douglas Barnes wrote:
[...]
> communications problems, their fear of RSA Labs, new Belgian
> export controls they haven't tried to work with yet, and their
> belief that I need a US crypto import license, which I can't persuade
> anyone to admit _exists_.

There is no such animal under US law.  Note however (1) you need export
permission to re-export the import, just as if it was produced here; (2)
the company may have legitimate fears that it may have liability and/or
bad PR with the feds under either US or Belgian law if you attempt a
re-export; (3) For all I know, Belgian law may require some US paper
showing what you will do with the stuff before they are allowed to export
it.

A. Michael Froomkin        | +1 (305) 284-4285; +1 (305) 284-6506 (fax)
Associate Professor of Law |
U. Miami School of Law     | [email protected]
P.O. Box 248087            | http://www.law.miami.edu/~froomkin
Coral Gables, FL 33124 USA | New address, but it's still just as hot here.