Re: Certificate proposal

	In the situation you cite, Bob doesn't know Alice apart from
their email correspondence?

	In this case the ISP is acting as extension-of-alice. Bob
thinks he is talking to Alice but he is talking to ISP+Alice. What
difference does it make, if Bob has no knowledge of Alice outside
their email discussion, that Bob is talking to ISP+ Alice rather than
just alice. From Bob's perspective, Alice is really an alias for
ISP+Alice. (The same goes for Alice in the other direction.)

	In tim's words, from alice's point of view "Bob the key" ==
"BOB the person and Bob's ISP". From Bob's point of view "Alice the
key" == "Alice the person & Bob's ISP".

	The MITM attack only matters if there is a context outside the
email correpondence. (Say, perhaps, a drug deal which involves real
physical goods.)

	More concretely, All I know of 'Hal' is through is emails. If
his ISP is intercepting the email between him and me, then my
definition of 'Hal' is 'Hal+ISP' -- it doesn't make a real difference
unless there is another context involved.

	(The MITM is still -important- though, because in most
situations there *is* some external context)

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734