Follow-up to sci.crypt posting that prompted NYT article

Yesterday, a New York Times article cited a posting by several
graduate students at Berkeley about the insecurity of the Internet.

We found the sci.crypt posting very interesting and relevant because we
spent a good portion of the summer working to address the same problem.
Namely, detection of the malicious (or other) modification
of an executable in transit over an untrusted network. In particular,
we believe that our system could be used to solve the NFS problem
mentioned in the posting from Berkeley.

Our paper can be accessed at

   ftp://thumper.bellcore.com/pub/rubin/stretch.ps

Avi Rubin <[email protected]>
Trent Jaeger <[email protected]>