DUM_not

   10-15-95. NYPaper, longish Page One semi-rehash, semi-
   disinfo of LATimes of July 23:

   "Emerging Role For the C.I.A.: Economic Spy."

      During the Clinton Administration's tense negotiations
      with Japan last spring Mickey Kantor received inside
      information gathered by the C.I.A.'s Tokyo station and
      the electronic eavesdropping equipment of the N.S.A.
      "But in the end, did it help much? Beyond some valuable
      detail we could not have gotten elsewhere, did it tell
      us much about which way Hashimoto would go? It would be
      hard to make that case."

      Many Administration officials suggest that the agency
      simply does not have the talent for such analysis. "The
      best graduate students don't go there and who can blame
      them?" said one of the Administration's top economic
      officials. "And yet, when you sit in a meeting, the
      views of the C.I.A. are often given more weight than the
      Council of Economic Advisors. Go figure."

      Allan E. Goodman, a former C.I.A. official and academic
      dean of Georgetown University's School of Foreign
      Service, said "We don't have the sources, we don't have
      the expertise. To develop an understanding of the people
      who trade currencies, their motivations, their
      lifestyles, you'd have to send your people to Harvard,
      Stanford and Wharton for years. Currency traders keep
      secrets very, very well, and to penetrate that would be
      the equivalent of cracking all the Japanese codes in
      World War II."

   DUM_not  (14 kb)