Re: Netscape rewards are an insult

At 10:11 AM 10/16/95, RingZero wrote:
>======
>On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Henry Wertz wrote:
>
>On Sat, 14 Oct 1995, Dr. Frederick B. Cohen wrote:
>
>>       The idea that Netscape (like Microsoft) thinks they can get free
>> testing services from all over the net by real experts just by offerring
>> a tee shirt is down right offensive.
>>
>>       I have a better idea.  How about an open market in break-in
>> software.  We crack Netscape and offer the crack code to the highest
>> bidder.  Bids start at US$25K per hole.  For the insult, Netscape has to
>> outbid the competition by a factor of 2 to get the details of the hole.
>> Here's how it works:
>*cut*
>     You know, this all seems kind of greedy to me.. It used to be people
>would find holes for *fun* and not for profit.  It's still possible to do
>that you know 8-).
>======
>
>It almost sounds like extortion, doesn't it?

I have to admit I'm a little surprised. I think there are a couple conflicting
dynamics here.

On the one hand, many people here see strengthening security and encryption
in use as a no-holds benefit. The more that is out there, the better it is,
and the more its in use, the better off things will be.

On the other hand, Netscape is a hot stock company. Its ok to work for
recognition, and to donate time for the betterment of the community even if
it profits others. (Eventually such things come around, which is the
classic value of a net reputation.) However, when sudden, large profits
hinge on your work, it is harder to take the philosophical route.

Its a tough thing. I can certainly see both sides.

Jonathan

..Jonathan Zamick                    Consensus Development Corporation..
..<[email protected]>                      1563 Solano Ave, #355..
..                                             Berkeley, CA 94707-2116..
..                                        o510/559-1500  f510/559-1505..
..Mosaic/WWW Home Page:                                               ..
..  <A HREF="http://www.consensus.com/">Consensus Home Page</A>  ..