Re: "Industry Group Rebuffs U.S. on Encryption"

At 09:04 PM 11/12/95 -0500, Duncan Frissell wrote:
> There were no nation states or cops prior to 1600.
> It is perfectly possible that there will be no nation
> states or cops at some point in the future.

To be strictly correct, there were no cops in the english speaking world
from the time of the saxon invasions to the nineteenth century.  There
were however the functional equivalent of cops at some places, and
some times -- mostly in societies that collapsed or sank into utter
tyranny.

One can reasonably argue that the persians and scythians
etc were nation states, and that sometimes nation states
existed during the dark ages and medieval period, but until
fairly recently, most of what we now call western civilization
regarded what we would now call a nation state as a rare,
curious, and pathological aberration.

I expect that we will soon once again regard them as
pathological, and I hope that we will be able to regard
them as rare.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]