                               Rich Salz
                        Open Software Foundation

           "A Middleware Guy Looks at Issues in Digital Commerce"

                        Tuesday, December 5, 1995
                               12 - 2 PM
                   The Downtown Harvard Club of Boston
                     One Federal Street, Boston, MA

Rich has been with OSF for nearly four years, where he has been
the technical lead of the OSF DCE 1.1 and 1.2 releases.  He is
also helping write the secure multi-threaded WWW server for the
DCE-Web project.  He has been active in Usenet, and is the author
of INN, one of the most popular Usenet/NNTP implementations.
His home page is http://www.osf.org/~rsalz.

Rich says:

>In the rush to separate lift even more money out of your wallet
>-- sorry, to provide consumers with more choice and opportunity
>-- the electronic commerce community has largely been ignoring
>issues that the distributed systems field has been trying to
>address for years.

This meeting of the Boston Society for Digital Commerce will be held on
Tuesday, December 5, 1995 from 12pm - 2pm at the Downtown Branch of the
Harvard Club of Boston, One Federal Street. The price for lunch is $27.50.
This price includes lunch, room rental, and the speaker's lunch. ;-).  The
Harvard Club *does* have a jacket and tie dress code.

We need to receive a company check, or money order, (or if we *really* know
you, a personal check) payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston", by Saturday,
December 2 (that's two weeks from this Saturday), or you won't be on the list
for lunch. Checks payable to anyone else but The Harvard Club of Boston will
have to be sent back.

Checks should be sent to Robert Hettinga, c/o The Shipwright Development
Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, Massachusetts, 02131. Again, they
must be made payable to "The Harvard Club of Boston".

If anyone has questions, or has a problem with these arrangements (We've had
to work with a few glacial A/P departments ourselves, for instance), please
let us know via e-mail, and we'll see if we can work something out.

January's speaker will be Art Hutchinson of Northeast Consulting Resources,
Inc.

We are actively searching for future speakers.  If you are in Boston on the
first Tuesday of the month, and you would like to make a presentation to the
Society, please send e-mail to the BSDC Program Commmittee, care of Robert
Hettinga, [email protected] .

For more information about the Boston Society for Digital Commerce, send
"info bsdc" in the body of a message to [email protected] .  If you want
to subscribe to the BSDC e-mail list, send "subscribe bsdc" in the body of a
message to [email protected] .

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Moderator,
The Digital Commerce Society of Boston

Robert Hettinga ([email protected])
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA (617) 958-3971
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell
The e$ Home Page: http://www.webstuff.apple.com/~vinnie/Rah