RE: "Proprietary" internetworking protocols (was RE: The future will be easy to use )

Oops, sorry about the unfortunate juxtaposition of POTP with
the SKIP thread. I didn't mean to imply anything more about POTP
than that they were around in Boston in case anyone wanted
to talk to them.

My comments about "proprietary" internetworking protocols
related to discussion of Sun's SKIP, not at all to POTP, whose
protocol hasn't been published and won't be published if they
don't get their patent.

I was simply observing that Perry's comment:

"...an internetworking protocol [e.g. SKIP] used by only
one vendor gets nowhere."

is not necessarily true, and pointed to SSL and NFS as
counter-examples.

-pl