Re: Netscape gives in to key escrow

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, Sten Drescher wrote:

> Matt Miszewski <[email protected]> said:
>
> MM> On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, sameer wrote:
>
> s> Jeff: If Netscape comes out in favor of GAK, will you leave?  (Wait
> s> until February, at least, of course..) You don't have to answer that
> s> to me, or the list, just think about it, and answer it for yourself.
> s> Do you think "anyone else" there would leave, as you say below that
> s> they don't want to go down history, etc...
>
> MM> While this would go over well in the press if handled right please
> MM> let everyone remember that Jeff is a real person with bills to pay
> MM> and food to put on at least his own table.
>
> 	I believe that was the point: How many people at Netscape would
> put principled opposition to GAK ahead of expediency?  My guess?  Not
> enough.

And more importantly, what exactly is the GAK issue worth to netscape
types?  Don't spout that trash about not being able to put food on the
table.  Salary cut, maybe, temporary job search, maybe, but poverty?  I
hardly think so.

So, for a 15% reduction in salary and 30 days of job search, is it worth it?

Answer for yourself.  That's where you really stand.

> --
> #include <disclaimer.h>				/* Sten Drescher */
> To get my PGP public key, send me email with your public key and
> 	Subject: PGP key exchange
> Key fingerprint =  90 5F 1D FD A6 7C 84 5E  A9 D3 90 16 B2 44 C4 F3

---
"In fact, had Bancroft not existed,       potestas scientiae in usu est
Franklin might have had to invent him."    in nihilum nil posse reverti
00B9289C28DC0E55  E16D5378B81E1C96 - Finger for Current Key Information