Re: EXON

On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Marc Ramirez wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 00:21:32 -0500 (EST)
> From: Marc Ramirez <[email protected]>
> To: "Ed Carp ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
> Cc: Rich Graves <[email protected]>,
>     High Society List <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: EXON
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Ed Carp ([email protected]) wrote:
>
> > > From:          Rich Graves <[email protected]>
> > >
> > > (There is some controversy in molecular biology circles as to whether
> > > "junk DNA" is really "junk" just because it doesn't build proteins. It
> > > could perform a regulatory or "frame-check" function.)
> >
> > Actually, I think that once the matter is further studied, scientists
> > will discover that the "junk DNA" is not junk, but inactive DNA,
> > waiting for a "trigger".
>
> Well, there are a couple of interesting things:
>
> 	o mutations in non-coding sequences are known to cause certain
> 	  flavors of cancer, and
>
> 	o the amount of redundancy in exons is rather high in comparison
> 	  to the coding sequences (much like other Exons we know :),
> 	  approaching that of other naturally arising degradation-resistant
> 	  signals, such as human language.
>
> So the signs as of right now are definitely pointing to exons having some
> purpose.  The problem is that exons usually lay outside the start and
> stop sequences, so nobody knows how they are read, which makes it hard to
> give them an interpretation.

folks, say yes to proof reading.

sorry to perpetuate this thread any more but as one of the resident
biochemists/mol biologists i've got an itch to scratch.

in the lines with the single '>' above, you need to replace the word
'exon' with 'intron'.

    exons --> DNA sequences in a gene that (can) yield protein after splicing

    introns --> DNA sequences that are interspersed between exons in a gene

introns have several known roles, including roles in RNA splicing and
RNA editing (a process that sort of skirts the central dogma of
DNA -> RNA -> protein by changing the 'code' in the RNA).

non-coding sequences represent the bulk of DNA, and for the most part
it's role is unknown although various people have their pet theories.
gene regulation is often carried out by non-coding sequences,
including sequences that are never transcribed into RNA.  thus, they
can be involved in any cancer process.

patrick finerty = [email protected] = [email protected]
U of Utah biochem grad student in the Bass lab - zinc fingers + dsRNA!
** FINGER [email protected] for pgp public key - CRYPTO!
zifi runs LINUX 1.2.11 -=-=-=WEB=-=-=->  http://zifi.genetics.utah.edu