Re: Massey, CEO of Compuserve, on Internet

On Fri, 29 Dec 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Wow! I am watching the CEO of Compuserve being interviewed on CNBC,
> explaining how his company is "taking the high road by complying with the
> laws of Germany" in removing access to 200 Usenet groups.

A blatant lie.

Newsgroups: alt.online-service.compuserve,comp.org.eff.talk
From: [email protected] (Tom Klemesrud)
Subject: Re: Compuserve lies about the Germans

[ ... ]
Compuserve CEO Massey appeared on CNBC and said that Compuserve was
only obeying the (German) law.  However, the AP article makes it clear
that there is no such German law--that there is only an investigation
going on in Germany as th exactly what is on the internet.  Compuserve
was not asked to censor anything, according to the AP article.
Compuserve has apparently used this episode as a excuse to do what it
was already predisposed to do, in my opinion.

[ end ]