(NOISE) Re: PLA_gue Germ Terrorism

In a recent message, John Young babbled:

>    12-30-95. To update the list of terrorist threats, the Wash
>    Post reports on the purchase in May of bubonic plague germs
>    by "white supremacist" Larry Wayne Harris, his bust by the
>    FBI and germ teams, prosecutors amazement that possession
>    of such deadly micro-organisms is not illegal, and the
>    consequent plea bargain of wire fraud with probation.

< snip >

Think that's fun? How 'bout this: given that the initial "mapping"
phase of the human genome project is nearly complete, and the huge
amount of genetic information available on the net, PLUS ever-
more-powerful-yet-less-costly computers anyone can purchase, just
how long do y'all think it'll be before some nut whips up a bug
that targets, say, people with negroid genetic characteristics?
Or epicanthic folds? Or blonde hair?

Seem kinda far-fetched? The November NUTS & VOLTS has a nifty
six page article on garage genetic experimentation (how to convert
that old aquarium into an incubator, culturing techniques, etc.).
They even list souces for equipment AND GERMS. Yes folks, you can
order your very own "E-Z Gene Splicer DNA Recombination and
Transformation Kit" from the good folks at Images Company, POBox
140742, Staten Island NY 10314, (718) 698-8305, $49.95 each,
not recommended for children under 6 (too many parents complaining
about mutated family cats).

Quote from the article: "A word of caution is in order before we
start. Although the materials in the kit are safe, it is important
for you to follow simple procedures to keep the experiment controlled
and nonthreatening." No shit. E-coli bacteria (what the kit uses)
aren't pathogens, but still... I guess every budding young white
supremist/right-wing religious nut/genocidal maniac has to start
somewhere.

Pleasant dreams.
--

|| ______    || comments, criticisms, and/or death-threats may be sent to: ||
|| \__  /\   ||            jonny anonymous, c/o [email protected]            ||

ps - Hey! I violated the new copyright laws with my quote AND I wrote a
     dirty word that 10 year olds might read! Cool! Wonder how else this
     message can get me in trouble?