Crypto hate mail

On Jan 16, 1996 14:38:52, 'Alan Olsen <[email protected]>' wrote:

>This is one of the strangest pieces of mail I have recieved in a while.  I

>know it is not nice to publish private mail, but this has got to be the
most
>clueless response i have gotten yet on the portland Cypherpunks meeting.
>
>Either this guy has lost total connection to his clue-server or he left
his
>terminal logged in...  Either way it is pretty funny.  (At least he did
not
>make any references to the "tentacles" of Tim May... ]:> )
>
>>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 07:39:55 -0500 (EST)
>>From: paul <[email protected]>
>>To: [email protected]
>>Subject: cypherpunks meeting
>

>>I THINK THAT ALL CYPHER PUNKS ARE S BUNCH OF FAGGOTS HAVING MEETINGS TO
>>SEE WHO THEY "WANT"  ALL OF YOU CAN SEND YOUR GAY MESSAGES WITH KEYS
>>SOMEWHER ELSE YOU DAMN FAGGOTS!
>>
>>paul

A. Olsen is too optimistic by far in his characterization of the likely
psychological state of the person who sent the above message.

I just published my CyberAngel piece in _Computer underground Digest_ and,
during my researches, I heard a lot of material as least as hostile as the
mail Olsen posted.

The hysteria over the Four Horseman, particularly the "kiddie
pornographers" is *intense.*  So is the ignorance.

To repeat in a different form:

the word is "hysteria" as in "Salem Witch Trials."

the ignorance is intense, e.g. ".gif" is a "kiddie porn" code word for
"girlie interchage files" etc.etc.
--
tallpaul

"To understand the probable outcome of the Libertarian vision, see any
cyberpunk B movie wherein thousands of diseased, desparate and starving
families sit around on ratty old couches on the streets watching television
while rich megalomaniacs appropriate their body parts for their personal
physical immortality."
     R. U. Sirius
     _The Real Cyberpunk Fakebook_