Re: new web security product

At 04:22 PM 1/16/96 +0000, you wrote:
>Perry Metzger wrote:
>> I don't think its going to fly. No one wants to pay for an unneeded
>> $100 piece of hardware to encrypt the same credit card over and over
>> again, when a nearly zero marginal cost piece of software can do the
>> same thing.
>
>I agree with Perry. Hardware encryption does add a layer of security
>not normally found in software, but it is hardware.
>
>Shoot, I don't even have a 28.8 modem yet, why would I want a black
>box that supposedly does something with my Credit Cards?

This is not something that will wind up being used by the average person at
home.  It will be used by the small businessman/woman who needs to do some
credit card transactions on-line.

The media is so hyped on this "credit card on the net" train of thought that
any credit card encryption scheme will be presented as if it is for the home
user.  Just another case of the media not understanding the technology they
are reporting on...

Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
              http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
       "Is the operating system half NT or half full?"