Re: Bernie S. Sentencing

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 25-Jan-96 Bernie S. Sentencing by
Dan [email protected]
> I just found out that Bernie S. will be sentenced this Friday morning
> at 9 am in Easton, PA for the crime of removing batteries from a tone
> dialer several years ago. This is defined as a victimless misdemeanor
> for which the judge in this small town (under considerable influence
> from the Secret Service) set bail at $250,000. He could get two years
> in prison at sentencing. Press attention could be very helpful in
> avoiding a sentence as irrational as the bail setting - right now the
> only influence these people are getting is from the Secret Service and
> they want to put Bernie S away for as long as they can. If you're not
> entirely up to date on this story, finger [email protected] for all of
> the details.

I've contacted an editor I know at the Allentown Morning Call (the major
newspaper in the Easton, PA area) and a staffwriter I know at the
Philadelphia Inquirer.

No word from the Inquirer yet, but the Morning Call seems interested --
email me for the editor's email address/phone number. Other folks can
probably give better background than I can.

-Declan