[NOISY] Printing Microsoft's CryptoAPI .ps

The problems futplex et al were having are the result of a known
incompatibility between Windows [95] and many print spoolers. You can fix
it like so:

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:41:02 -0800 (PST)
From: Rich Graves <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Fix for PostScript printer "PJL" Error (printing PostScript code rather than image)

Shamelessly lifted from the discussion forum on NetWork
World's Web site, http://nwfusion.com/

-rich
 [email protected]
 ftp://ftp.stanford.edu/pub/mailing-lists/win95netbugs/
 gopher://quixote.stanford.edu/1m/win95netbugs
 http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~llurch/win95netbugs/faq.html

>From ohara on Wed Nov 1 12:14:40 1995

I have a problem when printing to postscript printers spooled from unix
hosts. I am running Win95 and FTP Software's
Interdrive 95 (for the lpr client).

The problem is that the printer spits out pages of postscript code
rather than the page the code represents. This
happens only when I print over the network. If I plug directly into the
printer, everything works fine.

It seems that Microsoft improved the pscript.drv to also send "PJL" code
to printers. Thus, the actual postscript is
surrounded by PJL. Redirect a postscript printer to a file and take a look.

Unfortunately, this causes the spooler on the unix host to identify the
print job as a plain ascii file, rather than a
postscript file. Other than manually editting every print job and
copying it to the printer port, is there a way to
eliminate the PJL and get my networked printers working again?

-Bob

>From ohara on Thu Nov 2 11:23:54 1995

I have figured out how to excise the offending PJL commands from the
postcript output stream. Every printer that is
added to Win 95 puts a unique file into the windows system directory. In
my case the file is ibm4039p.spd. This file
seems to be a control file for pscript.drv as well as the customization
of the properties dialog for the printer.

In my case there are several lines that include the word "PJL":

*Protocols: PJL TBCP

and

*JCLBegin: "<1B>%-12345X@PJL JOB<0A>"
*JCLToPSInterpreter: "@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = Postscript <0A>"
*JCLEnd: "<1B>%-12345X@PJL EOJ <0A><1B>%-12345X"

When I deleted these lines from the .spd file and restarted Win95, the
problem was gone. -Bob