Re: Microsoft's CryptoAPI - thoughts?

For those allergic to Microsoft word, I have htmlized the crypto api

You can find it at

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/mscryptoapi.html

I hope that microsoft will soon have an official html version.

A notable misfeature of the API is that it assumes that in general
you will have two key pairs.  One for signing and one for encrypting.

Since in the most common case you are encrypting something related to a
signed message by the person you are encrypting to this is a
bad idea, and protocols that require two key pairs to avoid protocol
failure are hazardous and inconvenient.  I think Microsoft should
not have chosen to support such protocols.

The Crypto engine that Microsoft will soon distribute in every copy of
NT and windows will of course be crippled -- 512 bit RSA keys and
40 bit RC4 keys, but of course we should not do anything about this
until we have some crypto enable applications floating around.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   [email protected]