Re: Nym use in the real world

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Eric Murray wrote:

> With the coming Internet restrictions and growing use of the
> net by LEAs, it's become obvious to me that I shouldn't post
> messages with my real name.  But I have some problems/questions about
> using a nym:
>
> 1. reputation.  My nym will need to build it's own reputation, I know.
> But I currently get offers of work based on my reputation and posts.  I
> would like this to continue.  When it comes time to do the work and
> collect the pay, I need to tie my nym to me.  Reasons: only the
> most adventurous firms would hire someone to do work without knowing
> their real name.  I also need to have the proper forms (1099 etc)
> filed.  I know that a lot of people on the list would say that I shouldn't
> file taxes, but I am (currently) willing to pay the price to stay
> out of jail.

Reputations are usefull for more than just getting a job.  If a nym developes
reputation, people may be more likely to trust (or not, depending on the kind
of reputation the nym has earned) a post or e-mail sent from that nym than from
someone who has no reputation.

> The other problem (tying the nym to RealName) for employers is
> more severe.  A nym is only good when no one can tie it to your
> real name.  If I have to tell everyone I do work for what my real
> name and nym is, soon enough people will be able to tie the two that
> the nym becomes nearly useless.

It is possible to have more than one nym.  You could use each nym to develop
a different reputation.  For instance, one nym could be very knowledgable in
the field of cryptography, and another could be a really good golf player.
There is no reason for anyone to know that these two nyms are used by the same
person because most people on a newsgroup like rec.sports.golf probably
couldn't care less about your interest in cryptography.

> 2. does it (a nym) really help?  Police and governments are used to
> dealing with people who change their names, use fake names, etc.
> I get the impression that having multiple/fake names is considered by police
> to be evidence or at least indication of guilt.  "If you're not guilty
> why're you hiding?".
>
> Using a nym would at least help with the problem of police or
> other parties searching through Dejanews/Altavista for my posts for
> incriminating evidence.  But if my nym is investigated for some future
> crime (fuck Exon) and my nym isn't secure enough to protect my
> RealName, it will be a liability.
>

> Thoughts?

I do think that in any situation where both anonymity and reputation are
desired, nyms are of great use.  When you need reputation and not
anonymity, True Names should be used.

- --
[email protected]              | finger -l for PGP key 0xf9b22ba5
http://www.voicenet.com/~markm/ | bd24d08e3cbb53472054fa56002258d5
PGP: Because sometimes, a _Captain Midnight_ decoder ring simply
isn't enough.