Re: When they came for the Jews...

On Wed, 10 Jan 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:

> "I favor discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color sex, age,
> alienage, previous condition of servitude, recent interstate travel,
> handicap, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, Vietnam-era
> veteran status (or lack thereof), occupation, economic status, and anything
> else I can think of."

I really wish I had the original newspaper clipping so I correctly quote
the column, but it went something like this:
Here in Portland, Oregon, we used to have quite a problem with Nazi
skinheads.  Not that they are not around now, but then they were
everywhere.  Being that most of the city is white trash, you'd think it
wouldn't have caused much of a ruckus if they were simply beating up
minorities.  But its been my personal experience that they would prefer
beating up "fellow" whites instead.  That, coupled with the murder of
Saraw, seemed to stir things up against the skinheads.  Anyhow, that's my
background to it.  The column didn't talk about that.  It was this guy
writing about the Banai Brith (spelling?) in Los Angeles getting
critisism about gathering and keeping records on suspected skinheads.
Turns out they got alot of that stuff from Portland's own Multnomah
County Sheriff, who releases thier police reports as public information.
So this reporter decided to get some of these reports, and some of the
records that the banai brith were keeping, and printed some.  Like I was
saying, public opinion at the time was way against the skinheads, and I
was more than a little irritated at the time at them because of the
roving bands of punks that made life in MY city uncomfortable.  So I read
through each police report, really eating it up.  "White male, (his name,)
apprehended for distributing nazi literature."  "White female, (her
name,) questioned.  Wearing a jacket with a swastika."  Stuff like that.
Then the reporter lowered the boom.  He asked us in the reading audience
to substitute "skinhead" and "nazi" with "hippy" or "communist," and see
how we felt about that.  This was a very unpopular position at the time,
in a city hell bent on getting rid of these skinheads, but he made a good
point with me.

Maybe someone could tell me how I could get a hold of the original.  The
paper is the Oregonian.  I could probably figure out the reporter's
name...if I only had a brain.  I'd love to post it.

Again, flames are always welcomed, as I am home sick and could use the abuse.

______ T E K T R O N I X _ C P I D _ T E C H N I C A L _ S U P P O R T _______
                      /
 Voice: 1.800.835.6100             E-mail: [email protected]
    Fax: 1.503.685.3063                WWW: www.tek.com
     BBS: 1.503.685.4504            E-World: Keyword Tektronix
      HAL: 1.503.682.7450                AOL: Keyword Tektronix
   Service: 1.800.835.6100                FTP: ftp.tek.com