None

In article <[email protected]> "Declan B. McCullagh" <[email protected]> writes:

> From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <[email protected]>
> Date: Tue,  9 Jan 1996 11:35:42 -0500 (EST)
> Sender: [email protected]
>
> * INDECENCY is illegal to *broadcast* under Federal law, as enforced by
> the FCC. Examples of indecent words include "fuck" and "cocksucker,"
> which the Supreme Court has defined as illegal in the George Carlin
> speech, Pacifica case. The justification for a compelling government
> interest is that radio waves are pervasive, and a child can turn on the
> radio and hear dirty words by accident. The great free speech attorney
> Harvey Silverglate has been representing Alan Ginsberg in an "indecency"
> case, since "Howl" contains "indecent" words -- I believe he managed to
> get the FCC to include an exemption for material broadcast after
> midnight.

Isn't a large part of the reason the FCC can regulate broadcasters
without violating the first ammendment the fact that there are only a
finite number of broadcast frequencies, and that TV/radio stations are
required to serve the public interest?  I don't see how the same login
can be applied to the internet.