Re: [noise] The economics of super-stars - partial cite

On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, Simon Spero wrote:

> This came up at the bay area cyherpunks meeting - I haven't got the full
> citation, but the orignal paper was by Sherwin Rosen of the University of
> Chicago; it was published in 1981, under the title "The Economics of
> Superstars" - I think it might be in:
>
>         TITLE: Studies in labor markets / edited by Sherwin Rosen.
>         PUBLICATION: Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1981.
>              SERIES: Conference report / Universities--National Bureau
> 		    Committee  for Economic Research ; no. 31

For anotehr view suggesting that Rosen is himself dazzled by superstars,
see The Other Path, by Hernando de Soto, ISBN 0-06-091640-0 (paperback)
and 0-06-016020-9 (hard).

This is the 260-page executive summary of a study of the "informal
economy" in the major Peruvian cities. I think the expanded El otro
sendero with statistical appendices is only available in Spanish.

Title refers to Sendero Luminoso, a particularly bizarre Maoist cult that
has been brutally repressed by Fujimori in recent years. De Soto argues
that the masses are a lot smarter than most economists and governments
think, that most humans are entrepreneurs, and that the informal economy
serves people a lot better than either Fordist capitalism or a "communist"
revolution.

As if anyone has time to read such a thing.

-rich