crypto/classification

A few weeks ago someone posted the following message:

From: [email protected] (Anonymous)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 22:30:55 -0600
Subject: Cryptology and classification

Hi all,

Just received a memo, the "Desk Reference Guide" to Executive Order 12958.
This memo/executive order discusses classified national security
information.  The cypherpunks-interesting aspect of this memo lies in
exceptions to some new guidelines.  Basically, this executive order
removes the authority for the government to "permanently" classify
information.  Basically, classification is now limited to 10 years
(or 25 years in some special cases).  The exceptions to this allow
classification for longer durations for certain types of material.
These types include things like protecting intelligence sources and
nuclear weapons design info.  One of the other exeptions is for:

"...information that would impair United States cryptologic systems
or activities."

This appears to be taken directly from the executive order, so these
types of decisions are being made at high levels.  Thought you might
be interested.

        Hooker

I'm curious whether the "desk reference" contains more than the mere text
of the Executive Order.  If it does, I'd like to get a copy, since the FOIA
cases I handle typically involve classified information.

Please reply personally, since I only read the list in digest form.

Thanks!
Lee Tien