Re: Imminent Death of Usenet Predicted

>What if looking at a JPEG were like buying beer?  The default is
>that a 12 year old isn't going to fool the guy at 7-11, but if
>their parents buy a beer and give it to 'em, what the heck?
>Consuming alcohol is not regulated; *purchasing* it is.
>
>Don't forget: the fact that "porno on the net" (for instance) is
>an issue *at all* is a *failure* of technology.  It would be a
>non-issue if USENET wasn't essentially a technology vacuum.

indeed. and Who is doing the most to make sure that the technology
necessary (strong widespread crypto) to make porno on the net a
non-issue? if the governments of the world weren't such a bunch of
collective paranoid pricks, i believe we'd be in the process of
implementing global encryption on the internet and private networks
as well.

the public needs to be informed that thus 'failure of technology' is
completely unnecessary. one of the things that _really_ pisses me off
is that the very same people who are restricting the access of crypto
technology are the ones who are screaming that they need to restrict
other fundamental freedoms because of the their own stupid policies.

writing this, it is obvious that their policy is entirely reasonable
and in fact necessary if it is your fundamental goal to restrict freedom.
i believe this to be the case when considering governments in general,
and the u.s. govt. in particular.

amp