Re: Noise and the Nature of Mailing Lists

From:	IN%"[email protected]" 31-JAN-1996 00:44:48.72

>However, and current subscribers will no doubt jump in and give their
views, I hear that the current volume of messages is less than one per day,
with--according to my sources--sometimes days between messages. (I also
hear that the Extropians are devoting more of their energy to their
magazine, which may also be a factor.)
software are the problem. I got signed off of there when I changed mailing
addresses, and they haven't been able to put me back on. If it's that
low-traffic, I may see about requesting it from them again.

>And remember, it's a whole lot easier using filters and reading tools to
reduce the volume of messages on an active group than it is to get an
inactive group up to critical mass!
	One idea is to set up two lists, one of which has an automatic
filter that forwards stuff to another list... I'm currently trying to set that
up for another list I'm on. Something to keep in mind is that irrelevant
discussion can chase people off... what's happened to the list I mentioned.
	-Allen