Re: Fair Credit Reporting Act and Privacy Act

On Thu, 8 Feb 1996 [email protected] wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, [a privacy act] would also:
> >>
> >> *  Require government registration of computers and databases containing
> >> information about people (whether these computers are used by business or
> >> individuals).  This eases regulation of computers and future confiscation.
>
> At 07:04 PM 2/5/96 -0500, Tim Philp wrote:
> >I don't believe that this follows at all. All that would be required
> >would be a statutory obligation to comply with the legislation.
>
> And how can you enforce this statutory obligation?  Privacy laws
> against private citizens run into the same problem as drug laws:
> You need intrusive means to enforce them.
>
> A law "protecting" privacy would require government supervision
> of what is on my computer and your computer.

	Private individuals are not what I was refering to. I am more
concerned about corporations who hold information about me and release it
to the highest bidder. When it comes to individual versus corporate
rights, I am clearly on the side of the individual.
	It is not unreasonable to expect corporations to comply with
environmental laws to prevent the poisoning of our air and water. I
think that it is also not unreasonable to expect that personal
information that we have to release to participate in society be held in
secure trust and be used only for the purposes that we released it in the
first place.
	I have also not suggested some form of prior restraint that would
require government access to computers. I simply suggest that should a
violation occur, that I have the right of civil and criminal law as a
recourse to both compensate me for my loss of privacy as well as deter
future damage. A company knowing that civil and criminal penalties could
result from a violation would take extra care to ensure the security of
my data.
Regards,
Tim Philp

For PGP Public Key, Send E-mail to: