Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

At 12:31 2/15/96, Jon Lasser wrote:
>How would packets coming into the country be marked / passed on?

Presumably, you'd need a Chinese-approved identity key in order to get
packets into the country.

>So it seems that, in general, the Chinese supression of the net is
>possible. A frightening thought. Or, if you think about potential
>implications 10 yrs down the road here, a sobering thought.

Hold on..

Assuming we really believe the net is a good thing, if the Chinese block
it, they're hurting themselves.  We don't need to get bent out of shape.
They could as easily refuse to connect to the rest of the world.

The more they repress their population, the more their population will
want to rise up in protest -- maybe not this millenium but probably in
the next.

All we have to be sure of is that we don't let the Chinese dictate to us
what content we can provide.  It's like the CDA.  The Chinese might choose to
implement a nation-wide SurfWatch at all connection points at its borders.

...their problem, IMHO....

|Carl M. Ellison          [email protected]   http://www.clark.net/pub/cme |
|CyberCash, Inc., Suite 430                   http://www.cybercash.com/    |
|2100 Reston Parkway           PGP 2.6.2: 61E2DE7FCB9D7984E9C8048BA63221A2 |
|Reston, VA 22091      Tel: (703) 620-4200                                 |