Re: Some thoughts on the Chinese Net

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Carl Ellison wrote:

> At 12:31 2/15/96, Jon Lasser wrote:
> >So it seems that, in general, the Chinese supression of the net is
> >possible. A frightening thought. Or, if you think about potential
> >implications 10 yrs down the road here, a sobering thought.
>
> Hold on..
>
> Assuming we really believe the net is a good thing, if the Chinese block
> it, they're hurting themselves.  We don't need to get bent out of shape.
> They could as easily refuse to connect to the rest of the world.
[...]
> All we have to be sure of is that we don't let the Chinese dictate to us
> what content we can provide.  It's like the CDA.  The Chinese might choose to
> implement a nation-wide SurfWatch at all connection points at its borders.
>
> ...their problem, IMHO....

Not if it's just a proof-of-concept for US implementation of the same.

The US version might be ostensibly only "anti-indecency" or
"anti-cryptography," but I'm betting that if the Chinese are successful,
many other nations follow.

It's the naval blockade to JPB's Independant Cyberspace.  And I think JPB
is... a little overoptimistic this time... but I still don't like the
blockade.

Jon
Jon Lasser (410)494-3072                         - Obscenity  is a crutch  for
[email protected]                            inarticulate motherfuckers.
http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
Finger for PGP key (1024/EC001E4D)               - Fuck the CDA.