Re: Req. for soundbites

At  7:57 AM 2/19/96 -0500, tallpaul wrote:
>On Feb 18, 1996 19:27:04, '[email protected] (Bill Frantz)' wrote:
>

>>>A local TV station has asked me for an interview, after I sent a graphic
>>>of a mono-digital hand gesture with the phrase "censor this!" to the
>Prez,
>>>Veep, and the area congresscritters (cc'd to 2 TV stations and a radio
>>>station), accompanied by a 'confession' and demand for swift prosecution.
>

>>>Anyone got any nifty sound bites I can try to toss in?

For the record, that is not my statement, but one I was replying to.  No
offense, I think I may have made the same kind of mistake.

>I do not think that sound bites are the way to deal with these complex
>issues.

Tallpaul is right when he says that one SHOULD not deal with complex issues
through sound bites.  However, the mathematical model for this part of
politics is Prisoner's Dilemma.  (BTW It is also the model for negative
advertising.)  When your opponent goes to sound bites, you also must, or
you will lose.

The CDA fans have been using sound bites such as, "It will protect our
children from netporn."  and, "The net is a sea of pornography."  Lost jobs
and dead teenagers are the strongest images I can present on our side and
still feel look at myself in the mirror in the mornings.

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | The CDA means  | Periwinkle  --  Computer Consulting
(408)356-8506     | lost jobs and  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] | dead teenagers | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA