Re: new "obscenity" law on the net

> "Ben A. Mesander" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Just curious - will the new law outlawing obscenity on the net in the us
> >cause you to make changes to some of the comments in the emacs source code?
>
> Some weeks ago, Lars and Richard went through the Gnus source and
> removed 'fuck' two times and 'fucking' one time (if I didn't get it
> all wrong). I wonder if that's your fault.

what if I had written some code which doesn't function properly unless
certain indecent words were in the source code and then put the code
on the WWW :).  Would that violate Congress' Despotic Action?

What if when you looked at the text on a 80 column screen and because
of line wrap it said something indecent otherwise it was
unintelligible?  It seems that no reasonable person would go after a
person for that but then aren't we talking about selective
enforcement.

F T C                                                                           U H D                                                                           C E A                                                                           K